JB Dewar is a fourth generation, family owned and operated company that prides itself in meeting the needs of our customers. Our core values include being a community cornerstone, fueling families, delivering reliable service and quality, and doing it right! We strive for efficiency and error reduction by taking time to prepare, learning from past mistakes and always seeking to improve. If you’re looking to be part of a dynamic industry leading team, join JB Dewar!
JB Dewar was founded on the Central Coast, where we live, do business and serve our neighbors and community honoring our community’s traditions of compassion, ingenuity and work ethic. We are the Central Coast-based expert provider of the highest quality fuel, lubricants, equipment, and services.
Job Title: HR Employee Relations Specialist
Status: Full Time Exempt
Location: San Luis Obispo Office (others as needed)
Hours: Monday through Friday (after hours as needed)
JB Dewar recognizes that people are our biggest asset. Reporting to the Controller, the HR Employee Relations Specialist will interview employees and discuss personnel, human relations and work-related problems that adversely affect morale, health and productivity, in an effort to find solutions to these issues and meet with management to determine appropriate action. The HR Lead will play an instrumental role in ensuring that the employee experience is positive and consistent across all of our locations. The ideal candidate has a proven track record of working with leadership to drive a strong culture of employee engagement.
- Ensure consistency of onboarding, training and overall employee experience across locations,
- Play a key strategic role in employee engagement, and
- Support managers and supervisors to enhance the overall employee experience.
The HR Lead works closely with the Controller to oversee all HR practices, processes, and strategies. General duties include processing payroll, the recruitment process, on/off boarding employees, planning and implementing training programs, benefit programs and ensuring that employees follow best practices and company policies. Provides support and assistance to all company managers. Assists in various other projects as needed and time permits. Also works closely with the Accounting Department to ensure proper recording of payroll, benefits and other employee related expenses and accruals.
- The first point of contact for all company employees regarding HR related items. Advocates for and on behalf of employees providing a place to air concerns and issues.
- Able to balance both employee and employer perspective on all matters.
- Manage relationships with outside service providers e.g YPP, Paylocity, etc.
- Coordinate the company’s performance appraisal system and annual appraisal process.
- Complete regular payroll cycle complete and timely including commission payments.
- Assist managers with job descriptions, job postings, and overall recruitment activities. Ensures federal and state regulatory compliance.
- Provide new hire orientation and set up for new employees coordinating with hiring manager as needed.
- On-going revisions to policies, procedures, job descriptions, documentation, etc. Serves as a resource to management and employees on the interpretation and application of Company policies and practices.
- Complete exit interviews and employee termination documentation.
- Oversight of employee development plan program and training database.
- Provides insight and support in the development, coordination and delivery of training programs.
- Manage annual benefit open enrollment process.
- Regular on-site support for all remote locations.
- Support for managers and supervisors – coaching and development/discipline/performance management.
- Routine and ad hoc reporting and analysis of such items as employee hours, overtime, missed punches, meal breaks, vacation and PTO.
- Maintains records and monitors compliance with all relevant laws and regulations; protects the confidentiality of highly sensitive information, retains files according to federal and state regulations.
- Responsible for managing all leaves of absence and workers’ compensation claims.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management, Business, Organizational Management or comparable discipline or equivalent 5 year minimum work experience.
- At least three years of HR or related experience.
- At least three years of payroll experience.
- PHR, SPHR or SHRM-CP Certification
- Solid understanding of federal and California employment law, especially those applying to hourly staff such as OT rules, missed lunch penalties, PTO, etc.
- Solid understanding of DOT regulations pertaining to drivers’ hours and documentation.
- Ability to remain professional and calm during confidential, difficult or stressful circumstances.
- Excellent oral and written communication as well as interpersonal skills.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions and correspondence.
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail.
- Robust time management and prioritization skills.
- Solid ethics, morals and sound judgement.
- Google Drive, Sharepoint and Microsoft 365 proficiency.
Essential Physical Functions:
- Frequent sitting, standing, hand and finger movements associated with typing, 10 key and telephone.
- Talking, listening, near, mid-range and far vision.
- Occasional moderate lifting (no more than 20 pounds).
$75k-$80k base salary for this full-time exempt position
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance; premiums paid 100% for the employee by the company and 40% coverage of dependents; multiple plans offered
- 401K with a 6% annual company match
- Holiday, vacation and PTO offerings
This job description is not all inclusive. J.B. Dewar reserves the right to change job duties and essential job functions as required by business necessity.