JB Dewar is a fourth generation, family owned and operated company that prides itself in meeting the needs of our customers. Our core values include being a community cornerstone, fueling families, delivering reliable service and quality, and doing it right! We strive for efficiency and error reduction by taking time to prepare, learning from past mistakes and always seeking to improve. If you’re looking to be part of a dynamic industry leading team, join JB Dewar!
JB Dewar was founded on the Central Coast, where we live, do business and serve our neighbors and community honoring our community’s traditions of compassion, ingenuity and work ethic. We are the Central Coast-based expert provider of the highest quality fuel, lubricants, equipment, and services.
Job Title: Accounts Payable Specialist
Status: Full Time Non-Exempt
Department: Finance & Administration
Location: San Luis Obispo
Hours: Monday through Friday, Negotiable (8:00am – 5:00pm window)
Supervisor: Accounting Supervisor
Salary Range: $24-$26/Hourly DOE
Job Summary: The Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for day-to-day financial transactions including accounts payable, and various other transactional issues. The Accounts Payable Specialist must exercise discretion in executing essential functions and be able to work independently, following through on assignments with minimal direction.
Essential Skills and Responsibilities:
- Receiving, processing, verifying, and reconciling invoices.
- Matches open Bills of Lading, Dispatch Orders, Work Orders and other supporting documents to the correct accounts payable invoices to prepare for data entry into the accounting system.
- Analyzes and process invoices and other accounts payable documents in a timely manner.
- Codes such items as invoices, vouchers, check requests, etc., with correct codes conforming to standard procedures to ensure proper entry into the financial system.
- Handles all vendor correspondence via phone or email.
- Investigates and resolves problems associated with processing of invoices.
- Prepares check requests, wire transfers, and ACH transactions.
- Reconciles various accounts monthly, bringing any discrepancies to the attention of the Accounting Supervisor.
- Receives, researches and resolves a variety of routine internal and external inquiries concerning account status, including communicating the resolution of discrepancies to appropriate persons.
- Files, maintains, and distributes accounting documents, records and reports.
- Assist in compiling information and preparing responses to auditors during the annual external audit.
- Performs other duties as required to support the F&A department.
Required Skills and Minimum Qualifications:
- At least two years’ work experience in a fast-paced office environment including Accounts Payable responsibilities.
- High School Diploma is mandatory. An associate degree or higher in Business, Accounting, or Finance is a plus.
- Working knowledge of computer programs including intermediate to advanced Excel and proficiency in Windows in a server environment, MS Word and Outlook.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and memos.
- Effective organization and time management skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including effective interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Open to change and willing to learn new skills.
- Ability to follow up on pending issues.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Work experience utilizing Excel, preferably in the Accounting/Finance or related field.
Essential Physical Functions:
- Frequent standing, sitting, bending, lifting, hand and finger movements associated with typing, 10-key and telephone operation.
- Near, mid-range and far vision
- Occasional moderate lifting
This job description is not all inclusive. J.B. Dewar reserves the right to change job duties and essential job functions as required by business necessity.